A few crazy things about the sale (aside from the fact that it’s happening):
1. It’s $2 billion when the most valuable franchise in the NBA, the Knicks, were valued at $1.4 billion just a few months ago.
2. The Dodgers were sold in 2012 for $2.15 billion — the most expensive sports franchise deal ever — but that included all the land in Los Angeles on which the stadium (and parking lot) sits. More importantly, it included the massive television deals for the team.
3. The Milwaukee Bucks were just sold for $550 million earlier this year.
4. Donald Sterling bought the Clippers for $12.5 million in 1981.
5. Ballmer will own 100% of the team and become the most wealthy owner in sports, with his net worth of just over $20 billion.
6. The person who he passes on that list? Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen (who owns both the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers).
7. Ballmer outbid a group including Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, Laurene Jobs (the widow of Steve Jobs), and newest Apple employee Jimmy Iovine.